Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Library 2.0

It means we have to be smarter and faster. Problem is the speed of getting the computers to work/download!!! A constant complaint by our users/clients - whatever you want to call them. It means being able to use the computer seamlessly. Well, that's the plan, I guess. It would be good to integrate the multiple catalogues and be able to use them seamlessly - but the added problem is ensuring that people really get what they want - not rubbish. Although - I suspect that serendipitous discoveries will not occur as much. It is the picking up of a book and just browsing sometimes you get those Eureka moments and chance discoveries. I guess I'm a Luddite at heart! The future is what we want to make of it and how we do it. I would want a single search engine to assist sometimes, but some of those databases are absolute cows to search correctly so I would be very intrigued on how they may be incorporated??? Or will they - if they could be it would make a life for our users much better.

No comments: